Composers with SoSCC commissions and co-commissions
Composers with SoSCC-sponsored commissions
- Andrew Norman – Switch, performed by the Utah Symphony Orchestra in Salt Lake City, Utah, on November 6 and 7, 2015.
- News flash – October 18, 2016 – Andrew Norman named Musical America’s 2017 Composer of the Year! “He has likened his start-and-stop rhythms and rapid-fire exchanges to video games, YouTube playback, and other digital age phenomena. It is a voice singularly his own, and several major commissions from leading orchestras and soloists of our time have vindicated his vision.” – Alex Ross.
- Nico Muhly – Control (Five Landscapes for Orchestra), performed by the Utah Symphony Orchestra in Salt Lake City, Utah, on December 4 and 5, 2015. Hear live interviews on KSL5 with Nico Muhly, Josh Higgason, Thierry Fischer, and Glenn Prestwich.
Composers with SoSCC sponsored performances and collaborations
- Michael Gordon – Timber, performed by NOVA Chamber Music Series in Salt Lake City, Utah, on February 3, 2015
- Libby Larsen – Emergence, performed in complete form as part of the Crossroads series by the Fry Street Quartet in Logan, Utah, on September 22, 2015
- SoSCC was a season sponsor of living composers for each concert of the 2015-16 Subscription Series of NOVA Chamber Music Series. In this role, SoSCC sponsored the following composers, listed chronologically by performance
- November 1, 2015 – “New Paths” featuring works by Andrew Norman
- November 29, 2015 – “Flute, Harp, and Drones” featuring works by Nico Muhly
- January 31, 2016 – “A Sense of Place” – featuring works by Michael Hicks
- Feburary 28, 2016 – “The Mind of a Genius” – featuring a complete performance of A Musical Offering by Mattias Pinscher
- April 3, 2016 – “L’Enfant Terrible at 90”, featuring works by Miguel Chuaqui and Pierre Boulez
- May 22, 2016 – “A Celebratory Finale”, featuring works by Morris Rosenzweig and William Bolcom
- Glenn Prestwich and SoSCC will now be a season sponsor of living composers for each concert of the 2016-17 Subscription Series of NOVA Chamber Music Series.
- The first concert of the 2016-17 season on November 6, 2016 was a tremendous success, thanks to extraordinary pieces by Hadyn, Holt (Fool is hurt), and Brahms, as described in a review and podcast with piccolo soloist Caitlyn Valovick Moore.